Low Carb Lemon Cake
Author: Julia McPhee
- Serves: 24 small
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 123
- Fat: 12.0g
- Saturated fat: 6.0g
- Carbohydrates: 0.8g
- Sodium: 171mg
- Protein: 3.1g
Recipe type: Dessert/Cake
Cuisine: Low Carb
This recipe has become a firm favourite with my low carb friends and with my not so low carb friends. The cake has a strong lemony flavour and keeps well in the fridge for several days.
- 1 whole lemon (and juice of another lemon)
- 1 whole lime (or an extra lemon)
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp Stevia (add an extra tbsp for a sweeter cake)
- 150g melted butter
- ½ cup natural yoghurt
- 1½ cups almond meal/flour
- Beat eggs and stevia until thick. In a food processor blend whole lemon, lime and juice until pulped. Fold together the pulped citrus, butter, egg mix, almond flour, and yoghurt. Pour into a greased 20cm round cake tin. Bake at 170 degrees Celsius for 35-40 minutes or until firm to touch and starting to brown on top. Cool in the tin and turn out when cold.
- • 100 g cream cheese
- • Lemon juice - to taste
- • 1 tsp stevia - to taste
- Beat all ingredients together and ice cake when cold.
Can I please ask what kind of stevia you use? Or sweetener in general. I can’t find one that doesn’t seem to taste strange!
Ambee I use Natvia, available from most supermarkets. I use such a small amount of sweetener that it doesn’t seem to cause that after taste. What I recommend is that you add small amounts at a time and taste the mixture as you go. That way you can make sure the mixture is sweet enough without getting that after taste. Good luck!
Hi there, just a quick question, blonde as it may be lol … do you put the whole lemon in .. rind and all?? thanks
Yes, I have the same question. Do you put the WHOLE lemon in, rind and all?????
Apologies for the late response – Yes whole lemon, skin and all. Very flavoursome. Enjoy!
Hi, I was wondering if I could substitute the, stevia with splenda? Would it still taste good?