I think it’s time to get back to basics on low carb high fat (LCHF) dietary approach and clarify what it’s all about. The academics are fighting it out at policy level; there are several high profile chefs and foodies spreading the word at a public level, and good on them all. We need a multi-level approach to make changes to our health messages and to get the right messages to those that need them most.
Sadly this argument does nothing to stop the confusion for the of us who need to make some lifestyle changes as we age. There comes a time when the body that has carried you faithfully for so long starts to turn against you. The waistline thickens, your once firm and smooth upper arms start to sag, and thats the least of your problems!! Even more serious are the metabolic changes that are very likely occurring – insulin resistance or pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, and the list goes on….
The following messages will not change regardless of which dietary approach you are following!!
I promise you that this is what I will be telling you this time next year:
- Eat less sugar – full stop
- Eat less processed foods
- Eat more green leafy and above ground vegetables
- Eat good quality fat – avocado, olive oil, butter, coconut oil
- Eat meat and poultry (leave the fat and skin on), and seafood
- Eat dairy products; cream, cheese, full cream milk, full fat unsweetened yoghurt etc
- Cut bread, rice, pasta, cereals, and grains from your diet
- Drink alcohol in moderation, but while actively trying to lose weight just give it a miss for a short time (believe me, you will survive)
But one more key point
- Eat only when you are hungry and stop when you are full
The high fat component of the LCHF eating plan will make you feel fuller faster and for longer. Interestingly we don’t need a clock to tell us when to eat. Neither do we need a specific sized plate to tell us how much to eat! Your brain and body will tell you when you have had enough. This is an instinctive way of eating; listen to your body signals.
I don’t need to spell out what to eat and what not to, its all on my website and many other sites.
But if you are:
- Over 40 (or under for that matter)
- Over weight (even just a little)
- Tired a lot
Or if you:
- Don’t sleep well
- Are easily and often stressed
- Know that you are not functioning at a level that is the best you can possibly be
Then just try this clean and instinctive way of eating.
You deserve to feel good, look good, and be great in all aspects of your life!